Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Seed catalogs

One of the best things about this time of year is all the seed catalogs that come in the mail.  Just as the excitement of the holidays is ending, we gardeners can start dreaming of seed starting in February and planting in March.

I have way too many seeds on my wish list, but I have time to whittle them down.  I need to bring my planting starting lights and heat mat over from the old house.  I have a nice place in the basement to set up a seed starting area, but have to figure out how to keep the cats out of that area since they love to dig in soil and I don't think the new seedlings would appreciate being mauled by our cats.

One of the best reasons to garden is the variety of veggies and fruits that you could never find in the store.  But is it crazy to track down a catalogue that grows an obscure thai pumpkin just so I can make a recipe for thai pumpkin custard? I figure it will take me 10 months of planning and prep before I can even think about making this custard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment