Monday, June 25, 2012

So many ideas

So many ideas flying around in my head.  I really would like to make our new house look much older.  A friend has a great timber frame saltbox from the late 1700s that I have always loved and I would like to incorporate some of her design elements into our new house. Consider the current living room/front room: looks OK now, has a cute corner cabinet, nice light, floors are alright.  But I want it to look like this:
So if I paint the corner cabinet (I think the glass can stay and I can paint the inside a contrasting color) and add some wide board paneling below the windows and beams at the top of the wall I think it would look pretty good.  I wish it was in the budget to replace the windows.  Well, we'll just have to see how much we get for our old house.
Here's another room with more of the timber frame detail:
The corner posts are actually wider as they go up the corner of the house, so cool!
The current house has all flush luann doors, yuck.  I would love to have doors like this:
The patina is incredible.  I have to experiment to see if I can replicate this on new pine boards, or go on the hunt for old doors and wood.
The interior walls of my friend's house are wood and the exterior walls are plastered (the downstairs rooms have wood boards below the windows. We could easily do the same. And I already have the spinning wheel!

No comments:

Post a Comment