Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sometimes good things don't come to those who wait

Way back in January I wrote this post about Thai Pumpkin Custard.  I tracked down the seeds and planted them in late spring, watched them grow throughout the summer and finally harvested the squash.  Next I had to find the recipe again, and yesterday I made the dish.

First, you have to clean out the pumpkin.  This went pretty much like cleaning out a jack o'lantern.
Then you mix up the filling of eggs, coconut milk, sugar, salt and vanilla. The hardest part of the whole process was configuring a steamer.
I learned a lot and if I make this again I would change quite a few things.  For example, the recipe says not to cover the pumpkin, and to now look in the pot for 55 minutes.  Well, 55 minutes is a long time to wait to find out that the top of the custard is now full of steam that has condensed and falled onto the top of the pumpkin.
Also, the picture in the magazine has beautiful white custard.  My chickens' yolks are so orange there is no way they would keep the custard white.
The taste was pretty good, just not sure if it worth the work. I think I would like to try the custard in cups baked in a water bath.



No comments:

Post a Comment