Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Ugghhh, Late Blight

Every year since the first year Pennsylvania experienced late blight in the tomato crop (thank you big box store garden sections) my tomatoes have had late blight. This year it seemed to take a little longer to get going, but here it is.
I guess my next chore in the garden is to pull out all the blighted fruit and plants. Luckily, I have been able to harvest quite a few tomatoes and have canned pints and quarts of sauce.
There are a few tomato varieties available that have a resistance bred into them (no GMOs here thank goodness) and are showing some promise. Here is a link to a site listing the varieties. While the list is no where near the amount of varieties I can get from our local Mennonite farmer, with his 70 different heirloom varieties, if I don't loose tomatoes from disgustingness it might be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. So frustrating! This year is the first year in at least 5 years that I've been able to have a tomato crop. The blight was BAD here for a while. Next year, I plan on building a raised bed to rotate the tomatoes out of the garden and keep preventing blight. I also use an organic soap spray to combat blight and I put down red plastic mulch. That helped quite a bit. I hope you get rid of blight for good!

    ReplyDelete