Sunday, November 29, 2015

Early Rise on Black Friday?

Who me? Well not to go shopping! We got up at 4:30 AM to take a ram lamb and a mutton ewe to the butcher's. The sheep are done first and they needed to be at the butcher by 6:30. We had never been to this butcher and they are about an hour and a quarter away. Surely if we were pulling out of the driveway at 5 AM we would make it there in plenty of time! Apparently there are a couple of roads with the same name in that area and we were pretty lost. The butcher thankfully was able to take our two lost sheep and we had an uneventful ride back home. Now we are looking forward to some mutton. With the historic reenacting we do I am always looking at old receipts (recipes) for new ideas for meals in camp. Mutton was used heavily in the 17th and 18th centuries and I am eager to try some. Wonder how our group will feel about mutton ham? I also asked for the ram lamb's head so I could make "A Sheep's Head Soop." Yum?
I hope this butcher works out since they are USDA certified so I will be able to sell individual cuts of meat to buyers, instead of a whole or half lamb. This should increase the number of buyers I can attract, especially ones without a large freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment