Friday, June 5, 2015

17th Century Kitchen Gardens


I love history and I love gardening so when I saw this video I was hooked.
Garden Secrets-17th Century
The kitchen garden section begins at minute 32. But there was some interesting information before minute 32 on garden design, parterres, perspective and the introduction of flowers to the garden.

I found the section on "Step Over Apples" to be fascinating. I have always wanted to play around with espaliering but I don't really have a suitable wall. The link above, from the Royal Horticultural Society, explains how to train a dwarf stock into a low horizontal cordon. These apple trees can then be used to line a walkway or act as a divider. And they are so low to the ground that most people can easily "step over" them. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment