Friday, June 19, 2015

The Old Apple Tree

One of the apples trees that were planted by the previous owners of our property did not make it through the winter. When we moved the chickens out of the orchard Alan was able to cut up the tree and dig up the trunk. He said the roots were very mushy and limp.
Now I have room for more fruit trees.
Using the method I am employing with the other fruit trees, I should be able to get at least four more trees into this space.
First though, we need to level out all the holes the chickens dug.
I will cover crop the area with buckwheat throughout the summer, then sow a fall planting of oats. The oats will be killed in the winter, leaving a nice surface into which we can plant the trees in the spring. The cover crops will help build up the soil and keep noxious weeds from taking over the area this summer.
Now I just have to figure out what else I want to plant in the orchard.



No comments:

Post a Comment