Thursday, February 19, 2015

Final Lambing Statistics

One function of record keeping is to help with future plans for each animal. When deciding which ewe to breed, when to breed, which ram to use, etc past performance can help.  I am not at the point where I need to make decisions about which ewes to keep/breed, but the records I keep now will help me years down the road. And I certainly can't rely on my memory!



So here we go:
Beyla-#112, came to us with 2 day old twin ram lambs. The smaller one, ram2, has never been as healthy as his bigger brother.  Ram2 needed antibiotics for probable joint ill, had problems with hair loss in the right front and back leg, also the legs affected by the joint ill. He has needed multiple treatments, both topical and injection, of ivermectin for mites. However, all the sheep probably had mites when we got them. Ram1 has been healthier than his brother since the first day we had them. He has consistently out weighed his brother.  When they were 66 days old ram1 weighed nearly 10 pounds more than his smaller brother, 35 vs 26 pounds. They are coming up on their 90 day/weaning weigh-ins. Beyla had an abscess on her nose which cultured Staph aureus, not casseous lympadenitis thankfully. Ram1 also had an abscess above his left eye which is healing nicely.

Moose-#102, delivered a huge singleton ram lamb on Jan 21st. I think this may have been her first lambing so I will give her allowance on her single lamb. She certainly has enough milk for this bruiser as he is nearly as large as ram2 while being two months younger. He is also a natural bob tail like his father. Moose did have trouble pushing this big fella out on her own and needed a little pull to help out.

Chloe-#45, delivered twins, a ram and a lamb, at decent weights, 9lbs and 7.5lbs with no assistance. She has been an attentive mother and they are growing well. We'll see how they do on their 60 days weights.

Leda-#105, delivered a singleton ram with a slight bit of assistance secondary to the left leg being pointed back instead of forward. He was an acceptable 10lbs and is growing nicely. Leda is the most attentive mother of our small flock of ewes.

The goal from lambing is a 200% rate. This season I had a 150% rate. I can live with that since I am not sure what nutritional status the ewes were in when they were bred. I am hoping next year I can get closer to 200% with flushing and just healthier conditions all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment